Monday, March 15, 2010

To doubt or not to doubt?

In my meagre take on Marginality, I asked that I be doubted and be allowed to doubt. That, some of you did rather well! I’m grateful that friendship affords this freedom for dialogue and combat.

Lisa Lau teaches at Keele University in Staffordshire and has a doctorate in Earth Sciences. She is also a serious literary critic who has, at different times, praised and criticised my work. She likes my piece on marginality but is surprised that I should use the term ‘marginalised’ for people like my husband and myself who chose to live away from the so-called privileged areas. You’re right, Lisa. We’re are not damaged by our marginality in any way; we have all the basic amenities, and more, and the ability to look after ourselves. We live on the margins but we are not marginalised.

I had letters too, about my comments regarding the minor tribes of Coorg. Some agreed that these tribes have been sidelined; others felt it is unfair to say that the Kodavas have exploited them. True, we have never been physically cruel. In fact the Kodavas (also known as the Coorgs) treat their workers with a lot of kindness. Many try to get Yerava children to go to school, give them free medicines when they’re sick and so on. But somewhere along the way, we have ignored their steady decline into drink and destitution. It is certainly not okay to sit back and say, “they love booze and ganja and are promiscuous,” or to call them “nature’s children” and then forget their plight.

The reason behind their unwillingness to assimilate our terms of progress really interests me. When I was in Coorg as a child and later when I visited, I used to be fascinated by some of their festivals when they go from home to home singing bawdy songs and dance, with lewd gestures thrown in. Although mothers urged their daughters not to show themselves at such times, we girls never felt disgusted or threatened. Such coarseness with its sexual allusions are common to all cultures at some time or the other. I find nothing wrong with it.

There are 18 tribal groups in Kodagu. It is not too late and reach out to all who belong to Kodagu and have as much claim to it as the Kodavas. When we begin to address the needs of the less fortunate among us and help them live in dignity, we will be strong in the real sense of the word.
Please don’t get me wrong. The Kodavas have a long tradition of being helpful to the underprivileged in their midst. We have a strong sense of community and belonging. Accepting that the other tribals are our own brothers and sisters is the best thing that could happen to us. We must become aware of our strengths and our faults and see what amends we can make. Only then can we defend our beautiful district from being ruined by those who only want quick ‘progress’ and quicker money and do not have any love for the land.

Upliftment of tribals is not easy. It certainly cannot be done through free handouts, food or a few scholarships. One needs to understand and empathise with their own unique culture, help them revive their customs, provide them with medical care and train them in vocational skills they are comfortable with. In July-August I will be working in a remote area of Tamil Nadu where a doctor couple have been working for the betterment of tribals in 70 villages. They started by addressing their health problems and then helped them develop farm collectives, handicrafts and other means of being self-sufficient.

A few days back a close friend from Coorg called up to say that there is a fresh and vigorous initiative to address the plight of the Yeravas. Wonderful news. I would be only too happy to offer my services as a doctor to help the disappearing tribal communities of Kodagu.

No comments: