Wednesday, November 24, 2010

More On The Story...

I have just returned from a month-long plunge into the difficult task of promoting my novel, with book launches, readings, talks and interviews. I only have Goa and Bombay to visit now and then I’ll be back to my quiet and peaceful life.

Tired I am, but it was truly enjoyable. One of the greatest pleasures of having a novel out is the response from readers. There’s been a steady flow of them and I am happy that the The Story... resonates for so many people. Here are some news items: http://epaper.timesofindia.com/Repository/getFiles.asp?Style=OliveXLib:LowLevelEntityToPrint_TOINEW&Type=text/html&Locale=english-skin-custom&Path=TOICH/2010/11/12&ID=Ar02500

http://www.thehindu.com/arts/magazine/article893546.ece

http://indiatoday.intoday.in/site/Story/119752/Leisure/books-slum-and-substance.html



You may not know that my earlier novel The Scent of Pepper (Penguin India 1996 and Penguin UK 2001) has been released in a new, revised edition. Why revised? There were a few historic facts I wanted to include and it was also an opportunity to make small changes that enhance the story. My publisher agreed and so I typed the entire novel into the computer and got going. Do read this novel. It is set in Coorg (Kodagu) where I belong.

Sarita Mandanna’s Tiger Hills published in July this year by Penguin is also set in Coorg. It is a lovely romance, and the story covers the same period as mine. The similarity between the two novels ends there. But there has been much talk of plagiarism, because a few passages in Sarita’s book resemble passages from mine. I have carefully gone through her novel since this accusation came up and I certainly don’t think there is any plagiarism.

Also: I am misquoted as having said, “I did not expect it of Sarita.” What I said, when asked before I read her book was: “I do not expect it of Sarita.”

Each novel is different in its own way and has its own merits. Read both and enjoy a piece of history about a people you will find quite fascinating.

4 comments:

Sakala Appachu Debrass said...

Good for you both...proud that two Coorgs can actually maturely look at each others work, and have no sense of insecurity regarding the same.

Nisha said...

I have read "Tiger Hills" and I have totally loved it... It sure makes me curious about your book too... Yeah, and I did come across that plagiarism part and I feel there are chances that two people may think similar and hence end up writing similar without really meaning to. It is actually nice to see people handling things maturely without actually creating a fuss and being childish like most ppl do (for media coverage perhaps) I am a fan of maturity though... All the best!!!

Kavery said...

Dear Sakala and Nisha,
Thank you. Lovely to have your comments. Do read my novel too! It is out in a new edition.

Mohan said...

Kaveri, after the early years when you used visit St. John's we have not seen you here at all !!! It will be great if you can drop-in as a "mentor" and chat-up students and others sometime. We'd love to spend a couple of hours exchanging thoughts on life and work - even if it's a small group of us.

We continue to have some very talented students, and they would love to meet you. Especially, if you feel Medicine continues to be a good calling!!!